Feb 12, 2007

On Footnotes

While reading the book Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman recently, I remembered something that has bothered me for quite some time. This is, I wish they would make the little numbers that refer to footnotes just a bit bigger. I always read the page, and then arrive at the end of it, ready to move and then - wait...there's more! But where was it supposed to go? What was this supposed to annotate, add to, or support? Then inevitably comes the long hunt back through every word of the page, looking for the microscopic number to the right of, and a little above, what is often some arbitrary word. By the time I've found it, it's ruined, because I have, of course, already perused the footnote in order to glean some information about what word the corresponding number is attending to, or at least in what section of the page it is hiding.

No comments: